Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"Spiritual but not religious" ...what does than mean?

"Spiritual but not religious" ...what does than mean? And if you don't know what it means STOP claiming it!  I am getting increasingly bothered by people who say they are "spiritual but not religious".  If I hear it one more time I will SCREAM!! (I think I just did!)
People need look up the definition of the word religious before they choose to deny it or claim it.  According to Webster’s: Definition of RELIGIOUS:  1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes> 2: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order> 3 : scrupulously and conscientiously faithful.
I am concerned when people tout that they are "spiritual but not religious” as if it's a great badge to display.  Religious to me means…I believe in God, I know that I am saved by the blood of Jesus Christ and know He died for my sins.  It means I have a church affiliation, even if I don't go every Sunday. It means I own a Bible and I open it from time to time.  It means I pray constantly, not only for things I desire, but for the needs of others, and I say prayers of thanks for the blessings God has already provided. And most important, it means I acknowledge that there is power much greater than me and its The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit! 
Okay, I feel better now...

No comments: